Elaine’s practice has concentrated on civil litigation for the last two decades. Her practice areas have included: employment; tort; construction; product liability; malpractice; education and subrogation. In addition to conducting trials, arbitrations, and administrative hearings, she is well-versed in appellate matters, having drafted and argued appeals before the New York State Appellate Division.
She advises employers from a wide variety of industries, including education, non-profit organizations, and religious entities. Elaine routinely defends organizations in state and federal courts, as well as before the EEOC and the New York State Division of Human Rights. On behalf of higher education institutions, she has conducted impartial investigations. She has also defended employers at arbitrations pursuant to collective bargaining agreements.
She regularly counsels charter schools, private schools, colleges and universities on best practices, preventative measures, and policies. Her litigation experience in this field includes defense of claims relating to sexual misconduct, student and faculty issues, regulatory compliance, labor and employment, Title VII, Title IX, the ADA, the Clery Act, and the Rehabilitation Act. With respect to Title IX, she provides training to educational institutions and conducts investigations. She has also counseled and defended educational clients in investigations brought by the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) and the National Collegiate Athletic Assocation (NCAA).
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law
- B.A.,The Johns Hopkins University
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York: Committee on Young Lawyers; Member, 2000 – 2002; Secretary, 2002 – 2004
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Van Vleet v. Bogner, 136 N.Y.S.3d 896 (2d Dep’t 2021)
- Doe v. Zucker, 496 F.Supp.3d 744 (N.D.N.Y. 2020)
- Mathis v. Dominican College, 2016 WL 5257198 (SDNY 2016)
- Sorvillo v. St. Francis Preparatory School, 2015 WL1759573 (2nd Circuit 2015)
- Konaz v. St. John’s Preparatory School, 105 A.D.3d 912 (2d Dep’t 2013)
- Scarito v. St. Joseph Hill Academy, 62 A.D.3d 773 (2d Dep’t 2009)
- White v. Mt. St. Michael H.S., 41 A.D.3d 220 (1st Dep’t 2007)
- Colozzo v. Nat’l Center Foundation, 30 A.D.3d 25 (1st Dep’t 2006)